Monday, July 4, 2011

Party Punch for One


Depression is an oppressive state of being. 

It tends to sap the life out of everyone it touches, and I am no stranger to this phenomenon. These last few months have made posting here very difficult. I've missed you all.

Retreat With Me is a prescription to combat days that are less than sunny, less than energy filled, less than what I hope for. While posting and participating in these retreats, I have found moments of light in darkness even on my most sluggish days. So I soldier on.

For you, and for me.

I first discovered this next retreat on a day I could barely function. I sat in my favorite apple green chair and decided to pull myself back to life with something special.

This is what I did.

Retreat Time:

Fill a glass with ice.
Fill it halfway with orange juice.
Fill it the rest of the way with fizzy pop (yes I say pop, I'm from the Midwest).
I used Diet Sierra Mist. It's really good, and not too sweet.
Insert a straw, and enjoy.

Why is this so good?

Because the Vitamin C is good for your immune system, the liquid is good for overall hydration, the sweetness is good for the soul, and the straw is just for fun.

As I sipped this simple drink, I felt cared for and loved. I imagined golden sunshine in my tummy to replace the swirls of dark anxiety. Something about taking those few moments to serve myself a simple cold treat made me feel lighter, brighter, and loved.


So good.
Kimberly

1 comment:

  1. Thank you one again, Kimberly, for a delightful bit of light relief that lingers loooong! I recently found this see http://www.wisebrain.org/tools-and-skills/articles/train-your-brain and your blog is exactly what we need in this respect!
    Well I will save this special retreat for summer but try to find a hot substitute (any ideas?) for now and savour it everyday! xx

    ReplyDelete