Monday, December 20, 2010

Week Two ~Blue Snow~

Tomorrow, December 21, 2010 at 6:38 ET in the northern hemisphere, the earth will experience her longest night. We call this the winter solstice, and for thousands of years, people questioned whether the sun would disappear forever. We know now that it won't, but imagine the great relief as the days crept back, and the sun began its accent.

I live in the north. Outside my window is a field covered in white. In fact, it was -1.8 degrees this morning as I got the wood stove going to take the chill off the house. It's not difficult to conjure up the fear of those ancient people as the cold wraps its tight grip around the world.

Here is what I suggest for this week in honor of the winter solstice:


First, bundle up. We'll be going outside. I can't force you to do this if your thermometer reads negative one, but I will tell you it is highly rewarding. If you're lucky enough to have a snowstorm swirling around you while you're sitting out there all the better. This retreat is also best done at sun up or sun down.


Put all your warmest clothes on: long underwear, toasty socks, snow pants, or a snow suit, winter jacket, scarf, hat, mittens, boots, the works. You want to be warm. Bring a blanket if you'd like as well. Now find a nice comfy place to sit in the snow. You'll feel like a kid. Stretch your legs out in front of you and cover them with snow if you can. Tuck yourself in, breathe deeply, close your eyes, and listen. Winter is wonderfully quiet; a contrast to the holiday noise. Sit here as long as you like. Take the time.
That's it!

You may see snow devils whirling past you. You can write messages in the snow beside you and leave them to be seen or blown away. Do Rainbow Ritual, examine a snowflake, taste, see your breath, be in it and see what happens.

Why am I calling this retreat Blue Snow? Because of what happened to me.

I closed my eyes, calmed my mind, and as the sun went down the earth looked blue! What a surprise! A palette just for me.

So tomorrow evening at 6:38 ET, take a seat. We'll look up into the sky together and remember all the ancients who hoped and prayed for the sun's return. We may gain some new insight, or just be treated with an indigo world. Then come on in for some hot tea or cocoa and let me know how it went.

It's lovely weather we're having,
Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment